DigiM pioneers in 3D microscopic imaging, image analytics and image-based simulation, with a track-record of publications and presentations jointly with our elite customers. Our papers can be requested through the links when available .
- Lingxiang Zhu, Deqiang Yin, Yueling Qin, Shailesh Konda, Shawn Zhang, Aiden Zhu, Shuai Liu, Ting Xu, Mark T. Swihart, Haiqing Lin. Sorption‐Enhanced Mixed Matrix Membranes with Facilitated Hydrogen Transport for Hydrogen Purification and CO2 Capture. Advanced Functional Materials. Published online July 8, 2019. Read abstract here. Request manuscript.
- James Howard, Sam Lin, and Shawn Zhang. Uncertainty Quantification in Image Segmentation for Image-Based Rock Physics in a Shaly Sandstone. Petrophysics Journal. April Vol.60, No. 2. Published April 2019. Read here.
- Shawn Zhang, Alan P. Byrnes, Jasna Jankovic, and Joseph Neilly. Management, Analysis, and Simulation of Micrographs with Cloud Computing. Microscopy Today. Issue 27:2. Published March 2019. Read here.
- Jasna Jankovic, Shawn Zhang, Andreas Putz, Madhu Saha, and Darija Susac. Multi-scale imaging and transport modeling for fuel cell electrodes. Journal of Materials Research. Issue 34(4). Published, February 28, 2019. Official copy here.
- Edward Yost, Pascal Chalus, Shawn Zhang, Stefanie Peter, and Ajit S. Narang. Quantitative X-ray Micro-Computed Tomography Assessment of Internal Tablet Defects. Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. In Press, Published online January 10, 2019. (With Genetech, Lonza and Roche). Get official copy. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.xphs.2018.12.024
- Helen Hao, Karthik Nagapudi, Shawn Zhang. Impact of method of preparation on the morphology and mechanical properties of Amorphous solid dispersion: Comparison of Co-precipitation and Spray Drying. 2018 AAPS PharmSci 360, Washington DC, Nov 4-7, 2018. (With Genetech) Request a copy of the abstract.
- Michael Venters, Nathaniel Klaus, Edward LaChapelle, Amanda Pluntze, Kathryn Pugh, Matthew Shaffer, Shawn Zhang. Focused Ion Beam Analysis of Lipid Multiparticulates. 2018 AAPS PharmSci 360, Washington DC, Nov 4-7, 2018. (With Lonza) Request a copy of the abstract.
- James Howard, Sam Lin, and Shawn Zhang. Uncertainty Quantification in Image Segmentation for Image-based Rock Physics in a Shally-sandstone. Proceedings of International Symposium of the Society of Core Analysts, paper SCA2018_095, Trondheim, Norway, 27-30 August 2018. Request a copy of the abstract.
- Cheney C.Y.Zhang. Reconstruction of Three-Dimensional Micro-Structures From Two-Dimensional Microscopic Images Using Texture Synthesis and Phase Field Method. Poster ID PDP-54.Request a copy of the extended abstract.
- Shawn Zhang, Joseph Neilly, Aiden Zhu, Jacie Chen, Gerald Danzer. Quantitative Characterization of Crystallization in Amorphous Solid Dispersion Drug Tablets Using X-Ray Micro-Computed Tomography. Microscopy & Microanalysis 2018, Baltimore, Maryland, August 5-9 2018. (With AbbVie.) Request a copy of the extended abstract.
- Alan P. Byrnes, Shawn Zhang, Lyn Canter, Mark D. Sonnenfeld. Application of Integrated Core and Multiscale 3-D Image Rock Physics to Characterize Porosity, Permeability, Capillary Pressure, and Two- and Three-Phase Relative Permeability in the Codell Sandstone, Denver Basin, Colorado. Unconventional Resources Technology Conference, URTeC 2901840, Houston, Texas, USA, 23-25 July 2018. (With .) Request a copy of the abstract. Request a copy of the manuscript.
- Dan Wu and Shawn Zhang. Microimaging Characterization and Release Prediction of Controlled Release Microspheres. 18-A-137-CRS. Controlled Release Society Annual Meeting and Exposition, New York City, New York, U.S.A. July 22-24 2018. (With OraPharma) Request a copy of the abstract.
- Edward Yost, Pascal Chalus, Shawn Zhang, Stefanie Peter, and Ajit S. Narang. Quantitative X-ray Micro-Computed Tomography Assessment of Internal Tablet Defects. Compaction Simulation Forum CSF2018, San Francisco, June 11-13, 2018. (With Genetech) Request a copy of the abstract.
- Shawn Zhang and Natalya Ionkina. The Impact of Capillary Condensation on the Hydrocarbon Storage and Mobility. 2018 AAPG Annual Convention & Exhibition, P102, 2856053, Salt Lake City, UT, May 20-23, 2018. Request a copy of the extended abstract. Request a copy of the poster.
- Shawn Zhang, Lyn Canter, Mark Sonnenfeld. Capillary Fluid Dynamics within Unconventional Rocks Investigated by Scanning Electron Microscope, AAPG Bulletin, November 2017. (With ) AAPG Website Access. Request a copy of preprint
- S. Poozesh, N. Setiawan, F. Arce, P. Sundararajan, J. Della Rocca, A. Rumondor, D. Wei, R. Wenslow, H. Xi, S. Zhang, J. Stellabott, Y. Su, J. Moser and P. J. Marsac. Understanding the Process-Product-Performance Interplay of Spray Dried Drug-Polymer Systems through Complete Structural and Chemical Characterization of Single Spray Dried Particles. J. Powder Technology. Volume 320, October 2017, pages 685-695. JPT Web Access
- DigiM is highlighted in Journal of Petroleum Technology 02 June 2017 article "Need a Faster Measure of Relative Permeability? Take a CT Scan and Follow With Digital Rock Analysis", by Stephen Rassenfoss, JPT Emerging Technology Senior Editor.
- J. Kamp, S. Zhang. High Resolution X-ray Computed Tomography for the Measurement and Simulation of Decreased Permeability in the Wall-Flow Diesel Particulate Filter due to the Accumulation of Lubricant-Derived Ash. 2017 MRS Fall Meeting. Nov. 27, 2017, 8:00-10:00PM, TC02.03.09 Haynes Convention Center, Level 1, Hall B. (With MIT)
- S. Zhang, J. Jankovic, A. M.V. Putz, D Susac, J. Chen. J. Multi-Scale Image-Based Characterization of Electrochemical Energy Material System. 2017 MRS Fall Meeting. Nov. 30, 2017, 2:45-3:00PM, ES04.17.06, Haynes Convention Center, Level 3, Ballroom A. (With AFCC)
- Shawn Zhang, Zhen Liu. Correlative Microimaging and Image-Based Diffusion Simulation to Predict Extended Release Drug Performance. Invited talk at AAPS 2017 Symposium of Assembling an Advanced Analytical Toolkit to Support LAP Dosage Forms, San Diego, CA, November 12-15, 2017. (Request a copy of the abstract.) (Request a copy of the slides.)
- Understanding the Process-Product-Performance Interplay of Spray Dried Drug-Polymer Systems through Complete Structural and Chemical Characterization of Single Spray Dried Particles. Poster presentation at AAPS 2017, Poster Forum 6: Drug Delivery - Pharmaceutical Technologies - Formulation, San Diego, CA, November 12-15, 2017 (Poster Abstract.)
- Shawn Zhang, Alan P. Byrnes, Lyn Canter, Mark D. Sonnenfeld.Two-phase and three-phase relative permeability of unconventional Niobrara chalk using integrated core and 3D image rock physics. Joint symposium by Rocky Mountain Association of Geologists and Denver Well Logging Society, Geology and Petrophysics of Unconventional Mudrocks, September 27-28, 2017, Golden, CO. Abstract download. (With Whiting)
- Application of integrated core and 3D image rock physics to characterize Niobrara chalk porosity, permeability, capillary pressure, and two- and three-phase relative permeability. Accepted to present and publish by URTec 2017. (With ) (Request a copy of abstract) (Request a copy of full paper) (Request the presentation)
- Correlative focused ion beam scanning electron microscope and x-ray micro-computed tomography imaging on multi-scale drug release characterization and 3D-printing manufacturing. CRS 2017 Annual Conference Poster Presentation. Poster No. 128, July 16-19, 2017, Boston. (Request a copy of the abstract) (Request a copy of the poster.)
- Advanced Image Characterization and Analysis on Polymer Based Implantable Dosage Formulations. CRS 2017 Annual Conference Poster Presentation. Poster No. 128, July 16-19, 2017, Boston. (With ) (Request a copy of the abstract)
- A. M.V. Putz, S. Zhang, J. Jankovic, D Susac, J. Chen. “Microscopy Supported Multi-Scale Modeling of PEM Fuel Cells”. 231st ECS (ElectroChemical Society) Meeting, New Orleans, May 28-June 1, 2017. (With AFCC)
- C.J. Kamp, S. Zhang, S. Bagi, V. Wong, G. Monahan, A. Sappok, and Y. Wang Ash Permeability Determination in the Diesel Particulate Filter from Ultra- High Resolution 3D X-Ray Imaging and Image-Based Direct Numerical Simulations. SAE International J. Fuels Lubr. / Volume 10, Issue 2 (June 2017) (With MIT and Cummings)
- Lyn Canter, Shawn Zhang, Mark Sonnenfeld, Cliff Bugge, Mary Guisinger, and Kim Jones. Primary and Secondary Organic Matter Habit in Unconventional Reservoirs. AAPG Memoir 102: Imaging Unconventional Reservoir Pore Systems. Terri Olson, editor. 2016 (With ) (Request a Copy)
- Xu Jin, Shawn Zhang. Study of Petrophysical Properties Using Nano-Scale Resolution Electron Microscopy and 3D to 2D Upscaling. Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, Vol. 16, 1–9, 2016. With (Request a Copy)
- Shawn Zhang, Cheney Zhang, Gerard Brynes. Microscopic Image Based Drug Delivery System Characterization. AAPS 2016 Annual Conference. (Congratulations to DigiM intern Cheney C.Y. Zhang, who co-authored the abstract based on his summer project in porous material generation using pore-size distribution, a first at McCall Middle School.) (Request a Copy)
- DigiMedicine: FIB-SEM/MicroCT 3D imaging for drug microstructure and deliverability characterization. AAPS National Biotechnology Conference 2016. (Request a Copy) (Request a Copy of poster)
- Advances in Solid State Imaging of Pharmaceutical Systems. Invited talk at AAPS Arden Conference 2016. (With Prof. Patrick Marsac, Univ. of Kentucky). (Request a Copy)
2014 or earlier
- S. Zhang. Abstract/Presentation. “Integrated Material Characterization and Property Prediction Using 3D Image-based Analytics and Modeling.” TMS 2014 Annual Meeting, San Diego, CA, USA, Feb 16th-20th, 2014
- G. Tallec, P. Westenberger, N. Combaret, S. Zhang & D. Lichau. “New approaches for characterization of porous media: from segmented 3D FIB/SEM images to material properties simulation”. 5th International Conference on Porous Media & Annual Meeting, Prague, Czech Republic, May 21, 24, 2013.
- M. Marsh, S. Zhang, Pierre Itty, Paulo Monitero. “Microstructural Evolution in Concrete by In-Situ X-Ray Microtomography”. 2013 International Cement Microscopy Association 2013 Conference, Chicago, May 1, 2013
- G. Bryne, J. Chen. Microstructure Investigation of Controlled Release Multi-Particulates Using FIB-SEM. UKPharmSci 2013. (With ) (Request a Copy)
- Petrographic Features of Kerogen in Unconventional Shales and Their Effect on Hydrocarbon Petrophysics.
Abu Dhabi International Petroleum Exhibition & Conference held in Abu Dhabi, UAE, 11–14 November 2012. SPE162612. With (Request a Copy)
- Upscaling of Heterogeneous Rock Properties via a Multiscale Image to Simulation Approach. Comsol Conference 2012, Boston, October 3-5, 2012. (With )
- Micron to millimeter upscale of shale rock properties based on 3D imaging and modeling. Society of Core Analysis 2012 Meeting, paper A20, Aberdeen, UK, August 26th - 31st, 2012. (With ) (Request a Copy)
- Capillary Condensation and NMR Relaxation Time in Unconventional Shale Hydrocarbon Resources SPWLA 53rd Annual Logging Symposium, June 16-20, 2012. With (Request a Copy)
- Ultrahigh Spatial Resolution FB/SEM Three-Dimensional Imaging and Visualization of Whole Yeast Cell, BioTechniques with cover page story and editor highlight, 53:41-48, July 2012. (Request a Copy)
- Microstructural Investigation of Tablet Compaction and Tablet Pharmacological Properties. MIT Ph.D. Thesis 2010. (With MIT and Novartis). (Request a Copy)
Measurements of Porosity and permeability analysis on nanoscale FIB-SEM tomography of shale rock. ExxonMobil 2012 Unconventional Summit, Houston, USA, February 25-27, 2012. (With and IOL Calgary)
Porosity types and sizes in Shales, Measurements of Porosity and permeability analysis on nanoscale FIB-SEM tomography of mudstones. ExxonMobil 2012 Summit, Houston, USA, February 25-27, 2012. (With )
Poromechanics Investigation at Pore-scale Using Digital Rock Physics Laboratory. Multiphysics I Session, Comsol Conference 2011 Proceedings, Boston, MA, October 13-15, 2011. (With )
Porosity and permeability analysis on nanoscale FIB-SEM tomography of shale rock. Society of Core Analysis 2011 Meeting, paper A30, Austin, Texas, September 18th - 21st, 2011. (With ). (Request a Copy)
Poromechanics from Volume Averaging: Lining pore-scale physics to macro-scale. Society of Exploration Geophysicists 2011 Annual Meeting.W-4: From Image to Insight: How Can We Leverage Pore-Scale Observations Through Rock Physics Models. San Antonio, September 18-23, 2011. (With )
A virtual material studio to study rock petrophysical properties. The 11th International Conference on Magnetic Resonance Microscopy (ICMRM)/Joint Topic Conference on NMR in Well Logging and Core Analysis, August 14-18, 2011, Beijing, China. 2011-08 ICMRM; MRI Digital Rock Physics. (With University of Alberta)
The Analysis and Simulation of Rock Properties Using FIB-SEM and Virtual Material Studio. NAFEMS World Congress 2011, Boston, USA, May 22-26, 2011. (With ) (Request a Copy)
Analysis and Simulation of Rock Properties. Edward Brown (Editor). Comsol News 2011, p58-59, May 2011. (Interview)